I listened to an episode of Freakonomics, Why Is My Life So Hard?, and my main takeaway that I need to practice gratefulness. Lately, I have had the sneaking suspicion that my life is really hard, due to my own, special unicorn circumstances. Everything was coming down on me, everything is SO HARD. I have been living for the weekends, truly coming alive Friday afternoon through Sunday. During the week, swimming with my crew and being with Homsey and friends all but just keep me afloat.
After listening to the podcast, I realized that my life is okay. I am okay. Sometimes things are tough, and sometimes things I have a tailwind, which I often fail to recognize. And I could do with a more frequent dose of gratitude.
So here it is, today’s list of things for which I am grateful:
- I am grateful to live in a city that cultivates and encourages an active lifestyle.
- I am grateful that I make a living wage which allows me to afford things like sport equipment, a pool membership, and the occasional yoga class.
- I am grateful for a body that is healthy and strong and a spirit that enjoys being in motion.
- I am grateful for a thriving community of friends who encourage and push me to go beyond what I thought possible (or what I was willing to do!).
- I am grateful for the culinary knowledge I have developed over my lifetime, allowing me to create a delicious and nutritious dinner tonight, fueling my athletic pursuits.
What is on your gratitude list today?